Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Body Is ..Healthy/Strong.  Beautiful and Bathed in Light
Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?." - RUMI

Let's entertain a RADICAL idea.  That a body can house a disease like cancer and still be a full of health.  Yes.  It can.  I know this .  I am that body.

In February of 2013,  what seemed to be a long,  bad season of colds and bizarre cysts turned out to be  the "cancer cough" and a skin tumor that resulted in a diagnosis of Primary Cutaneous Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma ( yes, all that )...  A rare form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma .  Testing was immediate to rule out any possible systemic reach of the disease ( None.  Thank God. My team at Texas Oncology Midtown , I love you! )  ,  followed by treatment ( radiation ).  After thoughtful consideration,  my husband and I chose to keep the news private and close to home .  Besides  feeling deep fatigue and having a weaker immune system ( I got the worst flu virus on a plane ride home from Tulum causing me to back down and away from obligations, including presenting at the Austin Yoga Conference) ,  there was no serious outward indication of my treatment.  Why worry so many people ?  We had hoped that with the the combination of western medicine  and eastern wellness science,  regular 3 month check-ups and that that magical , statistical remission mark of 5 years, it would be handled  before we knew it.  Done and Done.

-science.nationalgeographic.com :  " The Body's Protective Cover…Although we may not think of our skin as an organ,  it is.  In fact,  it's the body's largest organ,  weighing about 8 pounds on average and covering some 22 square feet.  Our skin is composed of a complex system of cell layers, nerves , and glands that not only protect us from but also connect us to the outside world."  

Protecting us FROM and connecting us TO.  What a remarkable entity ,  our SKIN.  How would we experience this miracle of life without it?

Fast forward.  July 2014.  It's back.  Biopsy positive.  Oh wait,  it actually didn't go away (significant risk of relapse)  My best friend Trish Murphy crystalized my feelings when she responded to a text I sent her with this crap ass news…" Fuckety Fuck-Fuck " .  

This photo was taken post treatment last August in one of my favorite places in the world with a tender photography angel,  Stacy Berg .  The Studio at Castle Hill Fitness … where I get to share  my love and devotion for all things Yoga on the teaching mat ,  week after week .   This image, part gutsy , graceful and accidental ( backside bathing suit exposé not intended ) says in a picture what I believe to be true ;  My body is healthy/strong.  Beautiful and bathed in light.

I'm sharing this journey with you.  To my incredibly family, friends and yoga kula….Thank you for making this world so,  so sweet. 

 For information on ALCL and Lymphoma ,  visit : Lymphoma Research Foundation./ lymphoma.org.

*  This is new territory for me.  And for my family ( husband + 3 kiddos  ) . I would love to hear from you but  please respect their privacy . 






15 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting this. Beautiful, honest, raw (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thank you for your words. I hope it opens up a life line of support and help for others.

      Delete
  2. Fuckity fuck-fuck indeed. You are beautiful and strong and your body is healthy in every way. I see you this way and I will hold that vision. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim…."fuckety fuck-fuck " has been a hit! Who knew ? :) I think cancer calls for a little more than just one "f" word! . Thank you for reaching out.xo m

      Delete
  3. You've got this. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure helps to have people like you in my corner babe. xom

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing with us. Lesley is right -- You've got this. And, we're all here with you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sucks, and I am so angry that it happened to a person as beautiful as you. Not fair. I'm talking your spirit, not the outer package.

    Please let me know how I can support you. You have always shown such kindness, and I would be honored to share it back with you.
    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so dear Dawn. Thank you for the offer of support and care. And let me share honestly, I'm not angry in any way. I'm filled with gratitude for the abundance in my life and for the luck of having good health insurance.

      Delete
  6. Maricarmen! I read this yesterday and I was angry..very angry...How could this happen to such a strong and beautiful person as you?? I agree with the above, you got this! I know you will turn this around and teach us all something important, wise, and beautiful. All my prayers and love to you!! Margot Valdes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot… thank you so much. It really is a validation and affirmation about what we hold true and real in the moment of our breath. I feel your love and prayers. I'm full of so much that words cannot express what is in my heart.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Wish I could hug you back in person Joni :) … I'm taking all that love! xom

      Delete
  8. Maricarmen! As I read this, I am speechless. After our meeting the other day, I told my husband what a beautiful person you are, inside and out, and how great I felt after having spent that short time talking to you about all that you do and what we can do together through our businesses. Your energy, positivity, vibrancy and determination that I saw first through the passion you have for your professional and family life is exactly what will carry you through this journey to the other side - to restored good health, CANCER FREE. I hate that you are going through this, and I hope you know how much you are adored by your people - as evidenced through all of these posts- you are not alone in your fight! You are in my thoughts, prayers and heart. Joanie Frieden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Joanie. I feel the exact same way about you. Your authenticity and joie de vivre has inspired me and is contagious. I love all that you do and believe the health/spirit Gods led us to each other. I am overflowing with such gratitude for the people that have touched my life. Thank YOU. xoxo I look forward to blazing new paths together…

      Delete